In honor of National Smoothie Day, we used Google Trends data to find out America’s favorite smoothie flavors.
We compared the data to the national average, so the results show which smoothie flavors are preferred more than usual in each state.
We also looked at how popular smoothies are in general across the US, as well as the most popular veggie-based smoothies.
The data shows some interesting correlations with where different fruits are grown.
- Strawberry smoothies are the most popular, coming out on top in an impressive 11 different states.
- Mango and pineapple (my favorite smoothie ingredients!) are both one-state wonders. California residents are craving mango smoothies, and Alabama has gone rogue with pineapple.
- In the middle, we have peach and blueberry winning in 9 states, orange with 8 states, bananas with 7, and apple with 5.
- The Sunshine State is famous for its oranges, so it comes as no surprise that Floridians are big fans of orange smoothies.
- Arizonians are also fans of an orange smoothie – and they’re a major producer of the fruit!
- A similar story can be found in New England, where the blueberry smoothie reigns supreme. Maine actually has their very own blueberry variety, the Wild Maine Blueberry. It’s grown 100% in the wild and has a sweeter, tangier taste than cultivated blueberries.
- Georgia’s nickname is ‘The Peach State’ because it has a reputation for growing the juiciest peaches – and what’s their favorite smoothie flavor? You guessed it, peach!
- Interestingly, 8 of the 9 ‘peach’ states are situated in the USDA Zones 6-8, the best for growing peaches.
- Apples topped the charts in five states, including Michigan, Virginia, and Nevada. In all three of these states, apples are the most important and reliable fruit crop.
Here’s a quick tally of smoothie flavors and how many states prefer them (the full state list is at the bottom of this article).
|Smoothie flavor||Number of winning states|
The most popular ‘veggie’ smoothies
Next, we looked at which ‘vegetables’ are most often included in smoothie recipes.
Vegetables are in quotation marks because we’ve also included avocado and matcha in the list below.
Why? These savory, veggie-like foods fit better with kale and spinach than mango and pineapple.
At least we think so.
Controversial decisions aside, here are America’s top 10 veggie smoothie flavors.
- Topping the list are two leafy green vegetables, spinach and kale. Followed by avocado and ginger.
- Cauliflower is a surprise entry at number 10 – I can’t say I’ve ever tried cauliflower in a smoothie, but maybe I should! And I personally thought beets would be higher up, but they came in second last at 9.
Total smoothie popularity by state
- Hawaii sees the most searches for smoothie recipes, perhaps due to its warm climate and health-conscious nature. Following Hawaii are D.C., Maryland, and Arkansas.
- The three states with the least interest in smoothies are Arizona, Kentucky, and New Mexico.
- I was expecting to see more of a pattern with smoothies being most popular in the more tropical south, but the love is actually quite well spread across a range of climates. Alaska, the coldest state in the USA, is 7th on the list.
The most popular smoothie flavor in every U.S. state
|State||Favorite smoothie flavor|
|District of Columbia||Apple|
First, we compiled a list of the most popular fruit smoothie flavors in the U.S. (according to Statista data). We cross-referenced each item in the list against Google Trends and shortlisted the 8 most popular flavors nationally.
Using data from Google Trends, we calculated both the national average and the state average for each smoothie flavor.
The overall winning flavor in each state was determined by how much it over-indexed compared to its national average.
For more information on our methodology, or to request access to this study’s base data or original charts, please reach out to us at [email protected]