How does America like their eggs in the morning?
In honor of National Egg Day, we used Google Trends data to find out America’s favorite way to cook eggs.
We compared the data to the national average, so the results show which egg styles are searched more than usual in each state.
We also looked at which states prefer hard or soft boiled eggs and how each state prefers to cook a fried egg.
Interestingly, the northern half and the southern half of America are pretty divided when it comes to eggs.
- Boiled eggs are the most-loved egg, with 17 states, almost exclusively northern states, picking them as their favorite.
- The west coast, the southwest states, and some east coast states favor soft-boiled eggs. The rest of America (30 states) prefers a hard-boiled egg.
- Poached eggs are the next most popular style of egg, winning in 10 states. Omelets and scrambled eggs are close behind, claiming the top spot in 9 states. Scrambled eggs came in last with only 5 states to its name.
- Fried eggs are most popular in the southeast, while the love for poached eggs and omelets is pretty spread out.
- Florida is the only state to favor over-well fried eggs.
- A whopping 25 states favor the over-easy fried egg. Most of these states are in the northern half of America. 16 states favored over-medium eggs, and 9 prefer a sunny-side-up egg.
- On the west coast, you’re most likely to be served an over-medium egg with your breakfast.
The most popular egg style in every U.S. state
|State||Favorite egg style|
|District of Columbia||Poached eggs|
Hard-boiled eggs vs soft-boiled eggs by state
We took a deep dive into boiled eggs to see which states prefer them hard-boiled and which states favor soft-boiled eggs.
The results were pretty surprising, with a clear divide between the states in the southwest and states in the northeast.
|Favorite boiled egg style||State|
|Hard-boiled||Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Soft-boiled||Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington|
The most popular fried egg style in every U.S. state
And of course, the article wouldn’t have been complete without looking at how each state likes to cook fried eggs.
The west loves an over-medium egg, while the north prefers a runnier over-easy egg.
Florida is out there on its own as the only state that would opt for a well-done fried egg.
|State||Favorite fried egg style|
|District of Columbia||Over-easy|
First, we compiled a list of the most popular egg styles in the USA (according to Ahrefs search volume data). We cross-referenced each item in the list against Google Trends and shortlisted the 5 most popular styles nationally.
Using data from Google Trends, we calculated both the national average and the state average for each style.
The overall winning style in each state was determined by how much it over-indexed compared to the national average.
We also did further analysis on the sub-types of boiled and fried eggs, using the same methodology as above.
For more information on our methodology, or to request access to this study’s base data, please reach out to us at [email protected]