This smoothie combines two of my favorite things.
Together matcha and strawberry create a visually stunning and super refreshing vegan treat (that doesn’t involve bananas!!)
The recipe also features a secret healthy ingredient in the matcha layer, adding an extra nutritional punch.
Read on to discover what it is.
Why I love this recipe
And why you will too…
- Its packed with good-for-you stuff. Strawberries are high in vitamin C and matcha has loads of antioxidants.
- It’s lighter than the normal smoothie because it doesn’t have heavy bananas as the base, but it will still leave you satisfied.
- The funky colors make it appealing to my kids who normally hate smoothies!
- Matcha: matcha provides an earthy flavor and a vibrant green color to the smoothie. You can stick with regular-grade matcha for this recipe, because once you mix it into the smoothie and freeze it you won’t notice the difference between the grades.
- Strawberries: juicy strawberries offer a burst of natural sweetness, along with a beautiful pink color to contrast the green matcha layer. Frozen strawberries are best for a thicker texture.
- Spinach: you didn’t have to wait long. This is the secret healthy ingredient in the matcha layer. It blends seamlessly into the smoothie, enhancing the green color without altering the taste.
- Almond milk: a vegan alternative to dairy milk, almond milk adds creaminess to the smoothie without overpowering the flavors of matcha and strawberries.
- Mango: frozen mango helps thicken the matcha layer while adding a touch of tropical sweetness. This is what I used instead of bananas.
- Maple syrup: a natural sweetener, maple syrup can be adjusted to taste, giving you control over the sweetness of your smoothie.
For the matcha layer, combine spinach, chilled almond milk, chopped frozen mango, lemon juice, matcha, a pinch of sea salt, and maple syrup (to taste) in a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
Distribute the matcha layer evenly among 2-3 glasses and place in the freezer for 5 minutes while preparing the strawberry layer.
For the strawberry layer, blend chopped frozen strawberries, chilled almond milk, maple syrup (to taste), and vanilla extract until smooth.
Gently pour the strawberry layer over the matcha layer in the glasses, taking care not to disturb the matcha layer too much. To be extra gentle, pour the strawberry layer over the back of a spoon held over the matcha layer.
Hint: If the layers don’t blend together as desired, use the tip of a knife to gently break up the edges around the glass for a softer, smoother appearance.
Decorate the glass with a strawberry and you’re ready to go!
Can I just blend all the ingredients together? Yes, if you don’t feel like making layers you can just put everything into the blender at once. It will still taste yummy, but the color is a dull brown (so not that appetizing).
A high-powered blender is the key to achieving a smooth and creamy texture for this smoothie. If you have a less powerful blender, you may need to blend the ingredients in smaller batches or for a longer time to ensure a smooth consistency.
Additionally, if your blender is not capable of crushing ice, you can thaw the frozen fruit slightly before blending.
- Milk alternatives: you can use any milk you like here. Swap almond milk with coconut milk, soy milk, cows milk, or oat milk for a similar creamy texture. A lot of the substitutes in my light cream article will work here too.
- Sweeteners: If you’d like to avoid maple syrup, you can use agave syrup, honey (for non-vegans), or a few drops of stevia to sweeten the smoothie. I also tested a bunch of sweeteners for iced coffee which will also do a perfect job here
Smoothies are very easy to customize, but just in case you need some ideas.
- Tropical twist: Swap the frozen strawberries for frozen pineapple and add a spoonful of coconut flakes to the strawberry layer for a tropical-inspired smoothie.
- Chocolate drizzle: Melt some dairy-free dark chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the smoothie for an indulgent touch.
- Citrus burst: Add the zest of one orange to the matcha layer and replace the frozen strawberries with frozen raspberries for a tangy, citrusy twist.
Transform your smoothie into a smoothie bowl
Want to turn your strawberry-matcha smoothie into a meal? Turn it into a luscious smoothie bowl. It’s super easy.
- Replace the milk with yogurt or coconut cream for a thicker, creamier texture. Blend each layer as normal, chilling the matcha layer in the freezer while you make the strawberry layer.
- Once combined, freeze the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and top with your choice of toppings. I’d go for fresh strawberries, shredded coconut, and chia seeds.
- When you’re ready to dig in, go wild with toppings!
This smoothie is best enjoyed immediately, but if you need to store it, keep it in the refrigerator for up to two hours.
The smoothie may separate, but you can simply re-blend it and it should still taste fine.
Matcha Strawberry Layered Smoothie
- Matcha layer:
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup almond milk chilled
- 1 cup mango chopped, frozen
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon matcha
- pinch of sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup adjust to taste
- Strawberry layer:
- 2 cups strawberries chopped, frozen
- 1.5 cups almond milk chilled
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the matcha layer:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Distribute evenly among 2-3 glasses and place in the freezer while preparing the strawberry layer.
- For the strawberry layer:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Remove the glasses with the matcha layer from the freezer and very gently pour the strawberry layer on top of the matcha layer (if you find that the matcha layer isn’t quite thick enough, you can freeze it for a little longer). To be extra gentle, pour the strawberry layer over the back of a spoon held over the matcha layer.
- Drink immediately, yum! Can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of hours if you don’t plan on drinking it straight away.