This article was updated on 31/07/2023 for clarity and to incorporate new insights.
Eating an entire pizza by yourself can be challenging (not to mention bad for your waistline), so I’m going to show you how to store and reheat that cheesy, meaty goodness so it’s just as good for tomorrow’s lunch or dinner.
Super hungry? Let’s get started!
The best way to reheat Pizza Hut pizza is in a skillet. Heat the skillet on medium-low and heat the pizza slices for 2 minutes, or until the bottom crust is crispy. Sprinkle a few drops of water around the edge of the pan, and cover the skillet with a lid for 1 minute.
How I tested reheating pizza hut pizza
Craving pizza, I grabbed the Pizza Hut menu and ordered two large pepperoni pizzas for dinner. After eating a couple of slices (you can’t experiment on an empty stomach!), I put the rest in the fridge.
The next day, I tested four different ways of reheating my leftover Pizza hut:
- In a skillet: The best way.
- In an oven: Good for whole pizzas.
- In a microwave: The worst way, but will moisten a stale pizza.
- In an air fryer: Quick and tasty.
Once each slice was warmed through, I did the all-important taste test. I noted how fresh the pizza tasted, its texture, and how well the toppings had survived.
Reheating Pizza Hut pizza in a skillet
Time: 3-4 minutes
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-low heat.
- Arrange your pizza slices in the skillet, leaving room in between.
- Heat for 2 minutes, or until the bottom crust is crispy.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of water around the outside on the pan (not on the pizza). If your pizza is really stale, use 3 tablespoons.
- Cover the skillet with a lid for 1 minute to steam.
Note: you can use a regular skillet, but cast iron is best.
The hot skillet crisps the bottom crust, and the steam melts the cheese and softens the dough. But don’t be tempted to heat your skillet too high. Temperatures over medium will burn the crust before the slice has had a chance to heat through, especially for thicker pizzas.
Also, never flip the pizza!! The cheese will stick to the pan, and you’ll be left with a sad slice of tomato-y dough and burnt cheese.
Results: The skillet was definitely my favorite method. The bottom on the pizza was super crisp with a nice bite to it. And the top of the pizza was soft and moist, with gooey cheese and flavorsome toppings.
Reheating Pizza Hut pizza in the oven
Time: 8-10 minutes
- Place a sheet pan inside the oven on the middle rack and preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C (400°F/200°C for a non-fan oven).
- Place the pizza slices on the hot sheet pan or directly on the oven’s wire rack.
- If reheating more than one slice, leave space between the pieces.
- Heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until thoroughly warm and crispy.
Note: A slice will only need 3-4 minutes if you’re using a pizza oven. And if you want a softer crust, reduce the temperature to 375°F/180°C.
The oven is a good option for bulk heating pizza, but it’s less good for individual slices.
Using a hot sheet pan helps to crisp up the bottom of the pizza, mimicking a hot skillet. If you want to avoid a crispy base, use a cold sheet pan.
If you’re dealing with stale pizza, I advise sprinkling 1-2 tablespoons of water on the sheet pan and covering the pizza with foil. The water will create steam that will soften the pizza. Uncover the pizza for the last 2 minutes of heating to avoid sogginess.
Results: This reheating method was good, but not as good as the skillet. The pizza topping was tasty with a good texture. But the pizza dough had dried out slightly, and the crust was a bit chewy (but nothing like the microwave).
Reheating Pizza Hut pizza in the microwave
Time: 1-2 minutes
- Place the pizza slice into the microwave along with a cup of water.
- Heat in 30-second intervals for 1-2 minutes until the pizza is warmed through.
- Note: If your microwave has a pizza setting, use that.
- Eat immediately.
Tip: the microwave is the best option for a stale pizza because it’s excellent at softening bread quickly.
Microwaves and crisp or crunch don’t go together, so if you want a crispy crust, you’ll need to place the pizza under the broiler for 1-2 minutes after reheating.
Eat the pizza slice as soon as possible once it’s out of the microwave because it will cool down very quickly and dry out (and when I say dry out, I mean turn into literal cardboard).
Be careful biting into microwaved stuffed crust – the filling can get very hot!
Results: The microwave was the worst of the four methods for reheating leftover pizza. The crust came out chewy and soggy with absolutely no crunch. But the cheese was nice and gooey. Overall I’d say it’s okay if you’re in a real rush.
Reheating Pizza Hut pizza in an air fryer
Time: 4-6 minutes
- Select a temperature of 350°F (180°C) and preheat the air fry for 3 minutes.
- Put a pizza slice in the air fryer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- For a thicker crust, like a deep-dish, reduce the temperature to 325°F (165°C), so it heats the slice thoroughly without burning the cheese.
You won’t want to skip the preheating stage because this gets the basket nice and hot, which helps crisp up the bottom of the pizza. If you put the pizza in a cold basket, the base can come out rather limp.
Always keep an eye on the time when you’re using an air fryer, it heats quickly and it’s easy to burn stuff (or maybe that’s just me!)
Results: Air fryers are the greatest inventions. They’re quick, easy to use, and produce great pizza! The crust came out crispy (although not as crispy as I as expecting), the cheese was gooey, and the toppings had kept their flavor.
How to store Pizza Hut pizza
Let your pizza cool down to room temperature before putting the slices in an airtight container. Separate individual slices with parchment paper. You can also wrap the pizza in plastic wrap or tin foil if you don’t have any airtight containers. The pizza will last for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Letting the pizza cool to room temperature is crucial because otherwise, the condensation will make the pizza soggy.
And don’t keep the pizza in its box! Cardboard pizza boxes let air circulate, so the pizza will be hard and stale within a day or two. If this does happen, nuke the pizza in the microwave to try and save it.
It is a good idea to store different types of pizza separately. Flavors blend, and you really wouldn’t want your pepperoni tasting like pineapple.
Can you freeze Pizza Hut pizza?
Yes, you can freeze Pizza Hut. For best results, separate each slice with a sheet of wax paper and wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap. Add another layer of foil, or put the wrapped pizza in a heavy-duty freezer bag, then freeze. Pizza Hut will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Separating the pizza with wax paper means the slices won’t stick together and you can take out a portion at a time (very useful for snacking). And the plastic wrap ensures the packaging is airtight, so there’s less risk of freezer burn.
Another (plastic-free) option is to flash freeze your pizza slices on a baking tray for a few hours before transferring the frozen slices into a freezer bag. Before you freeze the pizza, suck as much air out of the freezer bag as you can; I would suck it out with a straw.
How to thaw Pizza Hut pizza
The best way to thaw frozen pizza is still wrapped and in the fridge. Depending on the size of the pizza, thickness of crust, and toppings, this may take several hours or overnight. Keeping the pizza protected in its freezer bag prevents too much moisture loss.
You can also thaw pizza on the countertop at room temperature, which will take about an hour or two. Submerging the pizza in warm water (in a waterproof bag) will speed the process up slightly. Or thaw the pizza for a few minutes in the microwave if you don’t mind a rubbery crust.
You can also just heat the pizza straight from frozen.
How to reheat frozen Pizza Hut pizza
You can reheat frozen Pizza Hut in the oven, air fryer, skillet, or microwave. For the oven, air fryer, and microwave, simply follow the instructions above but add some extra cooking time. For the skillet, follow the instructions, but there’s no need to add additional water before steaming the top of the pizza.
How To Reheat Pizza Hut Pizza [Tested Methods]
- 1 slice Pizza Hut pizza
- Preheat a nonstick skillet on a medium-low heat.
- Arrange your pizza slices in the skillet, leaving room in between each slice.
- Cook for 2 minutes until the bottom crust is crispy.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of water around the outside on the pan (not on the pizza). If your pizza is really stale, then use 3 tablespoons.
- Cover the skillet with a lid for 1 minute to allow the steam to re-melt the cheese and moisturize the pizza dough.