This article was updated on 02/08/2023 to improve readability and incorporate new insights.
There’s nothing quite like a warm, sweet apple crisp. But there are almost always leftovers and this traditional pudding is far too tasty to throw away! I’ve tried and tested three different ways to reheat apple crisp to find the best one.
In a rush? The best way to reheat apple crisp is in the oven. Preheat it to 350°F (180°C) and cover the apple crisp with foil. Heat the pudding for 10-15 minutes for a portion, or 25-30 minutes for a whole apple crisp. Remove the foil towards the end to crisp the topping.
How I tested reheating apple crisp
One Saturday evening, I put together my mum’s famous apple crisp and after having my fill, put the rest in the fridge overnight. The next evening, I set about testing different ways to reheat it.
- The oven: My favorite method.
- The microwave: Quick and decent.
- The air fryer: Good for smaller portions.
I was looking for a method that would keep the syrupy, soft integrity of the apple filling and revive the crispy crunch of the streusel topping.
Reheating apple crisp in the oven
Time: 10-15 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place your apple crisp (whole or in portions) in a baking tray and drizzle some melted butter over the topping.
- Cover the baking tray with foil and place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes for a portion, or 25-30 minutes for a whole crisp.
- To crisp the topping, uncover the apple crisp for the last 5 minutes of heating.
If you prefer a dryer topping, you can leave the dish uncovered for the duration of the heating process. But keep an eye on it, and if you see it starting to get too brown add some foil.
Drizzling a bit of additional butter over the streusel layer is optional, but I think it goes a long way to bringing the flavors back to life.
Results: I loved this method because of how juicy the apple filling was. The top was nice and crispy too – it tasted almost as good as new and was evenly heated throughout. The only downside is the time it takes.
Reheating apple crisp in the microwave
Time: 1-2 minutes
- Place your apple crisp on a microwave-safe plate (single portion) and heat the dish in 30-second intervals until reheated to your liking.
- Optional: place the apple crisp under a hot broiler for 1-2 minutes to crisp the top.
- Let it rest for 30 seconds before serving.
With this method, I advise sticking to reheating one portion at a time to ensure the apple crisp is warmed through evenly. And be aware that the apples will warm up much faster than the topping in the microwave – so be careful not to burn your mouth.
Adding the additional broiler step really reinvigorates the crispiness of the topping, giving the crisp a freshly-baked taste. But it makes the whole method a lot less convenient.
Results: What I loved about this method is how quick and easy it was. The results were decent if you’re in a hurry and just reheating a bite for yourself. I was also pleasantly surprised at how well the topping held up. It wasn’t super crispy, but it wasn’t sad and soggy either.
Reheating apple crisp in the air fryer
Time: 3-4 minutes
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (180°C).
- Line your fryer basket with parchment paper or foil.
- Place a portion of apple crisp in the basket.
- Reheat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once heated to your satisfaction, remove the apple crisp and serve immediately.
With this method, make sure to keep a close eye on the reheating process. It’s very easy to accidentally burn your apple crisp because of how strong the air fryer’s heat is.
Also, make sure not to overcrowd the basket or your pudding won’t heat evenly.
Pro tip: I fold up the edges of the foil or parchment paper to make it easy to grab hold of them when the apple crisp is done. Otherwise, it can get very awkward trying to get it out.
Results: This method is fast and convenient, and the cherry on top is the delightfully crispy topping. The apples were a tad dryer than with the other methods, but this isn’t anything custard or ice cream wouldn’t sort.
How to store apple crisp
- Allow the apple crisp to cool, then cover it with a paper towel and wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap.
- You can leave the apple crisp at room temperature for two days, or you can refrigerate it for up to five days. For longer-term storage, you can freeze the apple crisp.
Make sure the apple crisp is room temperature all the way through before adding any sort of covering. If you cover the crisp prematurely, it won’t stay crispy for long.
I’ve actually written an entire article on how to store apple crisp. I recommend checking it out because I provide a few extra tips for keeping your topping as crunchy as possible and preparing the dish in advance.
How to freeze apple crisp
You can freeze baked or unbaked apple crisp. For both types, wrap the apple crisp in plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil. This double protection ensures your apple crisp isn’t affected by freezer burn. The apple crisp will last up to three months in the freezer.
How to reheat frozen apple crisp
You can reheat apple crisp straight from frozen. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Cover your apple crisp with foil and heat it for 30-40 minutes. Uncover the dish and heat it for a further 5-10 minutes to crisp the topping. Serve once the apple crisp is warmed through.
Generally speaking, your apple crisp is evenly heated when the filling starts to bubble, and the streusel topping turns golden. If you want to test how hot the filling is, you can use the knife test.
Stick a knife into the thickest part of the apple crisp and feel the metal as you pull it out. If it’s warm, the apple crisp is ready. If it’s still cold, it needs more time.
How To Reheat Apple Crisp [Tested Methods]
- 1 portion apple crisp
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place your apple crisp (whole or in portions) in a baking tray.
- Optional: drizzle some melted butter over the crisp’s topping.
- Cover the baking tray with foil and place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To add crispiness to your topping, uncover the apple crisp for the last 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once fully reheated, serve immediately.